If you travel for business often, you know it can be a challenge to stay productive and efficient while on the road, let alone pack strategically. But with a little planning and preparation, it is possible to make the most of your time away from the office.
Here are some tips to help you stay on top of your game while traveling for business:
7 Packing Tips For Work Travel
When packing for business travel, you want to be sure you have everything you need, but you also don't want to end up lugging around a heavy suitcase. These seven travel tips for business travelers will help you strike the perfect balance:
- Prioritize packing essential items like your laptop, charger, and important documents
- Use the right packing method that helps avoid wrinkles, and be sure to pack your suit properly (instructions here)
- Pack light and only bring versatile clothing that can be mixed and matched to create fresh looks
- Cut down on bulk by wearing a pair of comfortable shoes while traveling that you will reuse during your trip
- Make use of packing cubes and other accessories that keep your belongings organized and easy to access
- Bring a travel pillow, blanket, and eye mask for long flights or layovers so you can recoup your sleep
- Avoid checking baggage when possible to cut down on risk of loss or delays. Instead, invest in a good-quality carry-on bag that meets airline size restrictions and saves time
If the trip is short, try using an all-in-one bag, like a rolling tote or other underseat bag, a professional backpack, sizable laptop bag or even a versatile duffel bag with built-in suiter
The most important thing to remember is to pack smart. By following these traveling for work tips, you will have everything you need without over-packing and save valuable travel time.
Maximizing Rewards From Business Travel
Corporate travel isn't only about packing strategically. Be strategic about getting the most out of your potential business travel rewards too.
Here are some tips for business travel that help maximize how much you benefit from your rewards:
Use a business travel credit card
If you travel often for business, apply for a business travel credit card. Some offer bonus points or miles for specific business travel expenses, including airfare, hotels, and car rentals as well as office supplies and more.
Some business travel credit cards also offer perks, like priority boarding and free checked bags. If you're unsure which business travel credit card is right for you, compare features and benefits to find the best fit.
Take advantage of an airport lounge membership
If you fly frequently, an airport lounge membership can be a great way to make the most of your time at the airport. Airport lounges offer free Wi-Fi, so you can get some work done on your laptop, comfortable seating, and some even serve complimentary food and drinks.
Bonus Tip: Some travel credit cards offer complimentary lounge access as a perk. Even if yours doesn't, you can still purchase lounge memberships.
Sign Up for Frequent Flyer Programs
Even if you don't expect to fly frequently, sign up for the airline's frequent flyer reward program. With a frequent flyer membership, you earn points on every flight, which you can redeem for free flights, upgrades, and more.
Charge drinks and meals to your room
If you're staying in a hotel, charge your meals and drinks to your hotel room. When you charge meals and drinks to a credit card that earns rewards, you will get points for every purchase (assuming that is in your credit card agreement). As long as you pay off the balance before your next statement, you won't accrue interest, leaving you with rewards at no extra cost.
Prepare Your Trip For Ultimate Success and Peace of Mind
Being well-prepared for your business trip can make all the difference. By taking advantage of these tips, you can set yourself up for success by making the most of your time and money while traveling.