Transport yourself to some of the most iconic settings in cinematic history with these filming locations from movies and television. They not only bring the silver screen to life but also offer unexpected moments of splendour:
- Skopelos, Greece - Mamma Mia! Skopelos, with its picturesque charm, could easily be a residence for Greek gods. The beaches, resembling the world's most scenic places to dance, invite you to recreate your favourite ABBA moments. Just remember to bring your flippers for the underwater musical numbers.
- Wild Atlantic Way, Ireland - Star Wars. Why pilot a spaceship when you can visit an island that serves as a Jedi retirement home? The Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland, home to puffins, adds a unique charm. Beware, though, as the puffins might attempt to impart Jedi wisdom.
- Dubrovnik, Croatia - Game of Thrones. Dubrovnik offers a medieval experience where every street invites you to sip wine and contemplate the Iron Throne. Dragons may be absent, but spicy Croatian cuisine and the imminent arrival of winter, accompanied by truffle risotto, promise a unique adventure.
- Great Rift Valley, Kenya - The Lion King. In Hell's Gate National Park, where "Hakuna Matata" is the local greeting, witness the Circle of Life. While warthogs may not sing about bugs, you might encounter mandrills dispensing Rafiki-style wisdom. Enjoy the spectacle with a sundowner cocktail.
- Mokule’ia Beach in Oahu, Hawaii — LOST. If you've ever fantasized about exploring the wreckage of Oceanic flight 815, make your way to Oahu's Mokule'ia Beach. This picturesque location not only served as the crash site but also doubled as the setting for the survivors' camp during the initial season of the immensely popular series.
- Astoria, Oregon — The Goonies. Immerse yourself in the nostalgia of the '80s classic "The Goonies" as you explore the charming town of Astoria, Oregon, where the film was both set and filmed. The port town is adorned with remnants from the beloved movie. While there may not be an organized tour covering all the must-see film locations, enthusiasts often craft their personalized journeys. Highlights include visits to Mikey (Sean Astin) and Brand's (Josh Brolin) home on 38th street, Ecola State Park (formerly the Fratellis' restaurant), Haystack Rock, Cannon Beach, and various other iconic sites.
- Al Khazneh in Petra, Jordan — Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. For aficionados of the Indiana Jones film series (let's face it, who isn't?), Al Khazneh stands out as the mesmerizing temple of the Holy Grail, intricately carved into the side of a canyon. In reality, Al Khazneh serves as an ancient mausoleum nestled in Petra, Jordan. While visitors are unable to explore the temple's interior, they're not missing out on much. Unlike the film's elaborate chambers and clever traps, the inside of Al Khazneh reveals itself as a modest, stone room.
Embark on a journey to these cinematic destinations, exploring famous movie locations and immersing yourself in the worlds of your favourite films. Who knows? You might stumble upon an outtake or two, making your adventure a blend of Hollywood glamour and unexpected fun. So, pack your Travelpro bags and get ready for a vacation that's part Hollywood magic and part whimsical fun, you might even encounter a local puffin channelling its inner Yoda or cross paths with a star.
Don't forget to check out our weekly deals. If you like to travel light, our sleek carry-ons are extremely light and fit just right in the overhead bin. Or if you need to pack for longer trips, go big with our check-in luggage collection. Oh, and don't forget to grab one of our handy totes that fit over your luggage handle for all your in-flight essentials. Wherever 2024 takes you, here's hoping your travel dreams do come true!